Saturday, November 8, 2008

"All I Need"

When Jonathon and I arrived in Seoul, we dragged our four suitcases and backpacks to our new and empty home. Realizing this "empty" home made me connect with a song from my favorite artists. "All I Need" by Sara Groves reminded me of Jon's and my situation here. Below are part of the lyrics to the song. I encourage you to look at the rest of them online. http://www.saragroves.com/store/theothersideofsomething/lyrics/allineed/
All I Need-
Newly married, new apartment
All our furniture was saved from the dump
Yes dear maybe we can afford a trashcan next month

All I need is my love for you and a seat for two

New baby new life
We will teach him to speak French
We’ve got no money so we’ll make it all ourselves
I’ll make the curtains and you make the shelves

All I need is a power saw and a new sewing machine

Honey, this house needs a little something
That bare mantle doesn’t look so good
Someone told me of a man
Who makes animals from driftwood

All I need is your monthly bonus for a wooden walrus...

--As Jonathon and I settled into our new place, we realized we needed things such as a trash can so we wouldn't have a pile on our counter and floor as well as bath towels to replace our t-shirts for drying.
I think that these things are both very valid needs and I sure am glad that we were finally able to get them a week after arriving. But, after listening to Sara's song a little more carefully, I realized just how fast we can start seeing wants and putting them into our needs category more frequently. It's interesting that in the beginning of the song, their life is so simple and focused on one another and of course God and later, their focus has completely changed. I also realized the accumulation effect when we moved out of our apartment in St. Paul, how did we have so many things and how did they get there? I'm sure that the people who helped us move out also thought that! Now I might just be thinking out loud here and not being totally coherent, but thanks for bearing with me. I just felt like I should write this as a reminder because it was so important to me and my outlook, especially when I walk through HomePlus: land of everything imaginable. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on the subject as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this, Anika! It is refreshing and something we all need to be reminded of again and again if we're willing to hear it: what we really "need" vs our wants ad nauseum. And of course I had to reconsider all this as I read what you wrote and looked around at all that I have! The OVERABUNDANCE of what I have. It's embarrassing! Truly, how blessed each of us has been, spiritually, materially, relationally, intellectually, etc.
causes me to pause...again. And ask God what He would have me do with some of these wants...
Thanks, dear one!
your smh xoxoxoxo

Anika said...

Yeah, it was ironic that this was on my heart and mind this week and on Thursday, my schedule included teaching needs vs. wants to my first graders. I loved their insights and ideas for deciding what was important and how you should treat your money.

Unknown said...

Do you have a list of the first-graders' responses? That would be fun to see! Thanks for this great post.

Anika said...

mmmm, I don't. We were just having a conversation about it and I wish I would have written them down. I guess that they weren't overly insightful, but I was impressed because the culture here is much more needs based. I was proud of them to be thinking harder about what's important.

carlamom said...

Hi Anika and Jon,
Your great comments remind me of what your Grandpa Huey's friend used to say, "Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to do without it." You've always been creative, and the two of you can do and be grateful.
:)
Just want to thank you so much for sacrificing your sleep for the fun surprise phone call.
We all loved it!
xo,
Sas
PS Love the pictures...keep them coming!
Will show them to Nona when she wakes up. If she was a little younger, she'd probably be a big net user.