Sunday, March 15, 2009

Costco Celebration!

This Saturday was a very exciting day; it was "Costco Day"! Costco Day comes about once a month after payday. This was our third time going to Costco. The week before, I find myself thinking and dreaming about my Costco list. Should I spend our Costco budget on cheese? bacon? bulk candy? US meat? bulk kimchi? Oh, the possibilities! The first time we went to Costco, I think I was in such shock, I stood with my cart marveling at all of the goodness before I was pushed on by an impatient Korean. To begin our shopping, we need sustenance. So, the logical solution is to eat at the little cafeteria before you enter the food area; this is also really exciting! Here, you can get a hotdog set with a soda for 2,000won, which is about $1.25! Also, you can get a huge piece of American style pizza for about 3,000. Not only is the price excellent, but it's a little piece of America on top of it. But, there are definitely things in the cafeteria that are far from an American experience. First of all, this is a huge two level Costco and I couldn't even begin to imagine how many people are crammed into this store, but they decide to have crammed bench seating for about 75 people. And then, if finding your own seat wasn't difficult enough, you get to play the game "Find Your Cart" after it is all done. Costco has a special worker that gets paid to line the carts at the cafeteria in rows of 7, side by side, so you can't get to any of them. It seems that my cart somehow gets put in the middle and I end up pulling out cart after cart to get to mine. Because it is so hard to find your cart, I have tried to make mine more noticeable and create some sort of flag. The other thing that is definitely not an American Costco experience is the onion salads that Koreans love. At the condiment bar, there is a machine that you crank and out comes diced onions. Now, usually we use onions, ketchup, and mustard as condiments, but Koreans love to put them together and eat them straight-like a salad. It is one of the oddest things I've seen here. And let me tell you, these are not sweet onions, but the eye-watering, nose burning onions. Needless to say, I did not try this salad.
But, on to shopping! I knew that by finding Costco, it would help Jon and I eat a little more normally (maybe). Not that eating here is difficult, but we certainly do miss foods from home. For instance, when I saw the 4x4 box of cheese in the fridge, I wanted to sprint and leap, push over anyone in my way and put the whole box in the cart for myself. I guess that that is a true mark of a Cheesehead. And although I didn't get the whole box of cheese, we did buy a 2 lb. block of sharp cheddar and Jon and I tried to savor and not completely devour it. Among other things that we got, were oatmeal, Honey Nut Cheerios, Special K, Johnsonville Maple Bacon, ground beef, pasta noodles, celery(which you can't seem to find anywhere, now my spaghetti is complete!), V8 and Prego. The V8 actually ended up being a surprise for Jon's birthday and he was thrilled. Clearly, we are easy to please. We are very thankful to have Costco and look forward to getting great food to fill our cupboards and freezer with until next month.
One other quick update; a sad update. Molly has had two inquiries for adoption. :( Jon and I both love her very much and are sad at the thought of giving her up, even though that was why I began to foster. Giving up animals and saying goodbye is always extremely difficult and I hate to do it. We need to find out more about the people and see if either are a good fit.
Below, I posted a few videos from earlier in our stay here.


3 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Anika,
I loved reading about your shopping adventure and the video and slide show. Before you know it, we'll be visiting. I can hardly wait. I'm sad you may have to say goodbye to Molly soon. You have been so kind to take her in.
See you soon,
Love Diane Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Lovey-- What a tres belle fun experience to go along with you to Costco! AND to hear the voices and noise, plus almost sniff the seafood you videoed!
Cheese! how funny! I'm very pleased that you found some 2 year cheddar! unreal!
You'll know if/who is the "right" permanent family for your Molly the Jolly, although it will be such a heartache to have to admit it. I'll pray for wisdom and courage to discern and act on it.
love you guys!
mummit/deb

Gilbertson Family said...

It is good to hear about Molly being possibly adopted. She will always be our little Maple Bacon. Mmmmmm Maple Bacon aahhhhhhhh