Tonight, Jon had planned to meet up with another POLY teacher who is also from Rochester. We met for Korean BBQ two months or so ago, but haven't since. So, we decided to get together in Anyang, south of Seoul, a bit where she lives. Well, miscommunication occurred and although we were in Anyang, we ended up not getting together. This subway station was really nice and had several shops and also a Lotte department store. Lotte is basically the equivalent to a gigantic Macy's. We didn't get a chance to go into it because it was closing, but we wandered around a little bit. As we made our way outside of the station, we saw a Krispy Kreme sign on the outside of the station. How exciting! I yelled, "Krispy Kreme" right away! I have seen them in one or two other places in Seoul, but I was always with other people going somewhere and never could stop. So, after a long day of teaching and testing, we thought it'd be a great dinner. We walked in and they had the conveyor belt of donuts being made and several racks of doughnuts ranging from original to cinnamon walnut old-fashioned glazed to green tea glazed. (Seriously, who wants a green tea, donut? Not I.) So, Jon and I got 6 donuts (2 original, two old-fashioned chocolate donuts, a cinnamon walnut old-fashioned glazed, and a strawberry filled donut). We went to the counter and also ordered a medium coffee to share. When they gave us the coffee cup, it was the size of a large at Starbucks for only about $1.80! Another wonderful surprise! Then, when the cashier was giving me my receipt, he was trying to say something and I had no idea what it was (even though it was in English). So, I looked at Jon. Jon had no idea what he was saying. But, the cashier repeated the same sentence for the third time and I heard the words "Free......now or later". I don't know what's free, but I sure want it now! So, I told him that and he ran away and came back with an original glazed donut; another exciting surprise! You all know that the original is the best, so this was major. A free donut! Wow! Okay, maybe I'm a little excited over this donut, but it was more than that, it felt like I was back in Indiana visiting my brother in college and making a run to Krispy Kreme late at night to get their fresh, off the cooker donuts. Ahhhh. All of these things together certainly made Jon's day, I know.
Oh, the other surprise, which I kept repeating but Jon didn't seem to pay any attention to was the two-story Daiso. Daiso is the 1,000 won store, so every thing's about 80 cents. We go to Daiso to get things for our class store at school and soap and what not. Where else could you buy decent Asian looking plates, bowls, cups, and pots?-nowhere. But, I had never seen a two story Daiso! I really wanted to go inside and see the glory of it all, but Jon didn't seem to have any interest. Maybe I'll just have to meander to Anyang again someday...
So, even though we traveled quite a ways, apparently just for a couple donuts and some time together outside of our one room apartment, it was well worth it. We had a good adventure and unexpected surprises together in Anyang, Korea!
3 comments:
Yum-Yum!
KWISPY KWEEEEEEEEM!!! WE don't even have one nearby! you are BAD! But really and truly, I BE GLAD for you! and while you're at it, devour a half dozen Roti Buns for me, would you PLEASE?! YUMYUMYUM!
include lots of video footage of that 2 story Daiso! AND another "PLEASE": buy Molly another Dolly while you're there! Poor Jonathon, he's not even in it, not appreciating the 1,000 won store! Pitiful! PIT-I-FULLLL.
Wow! Right up my alley...all that shopping. How could Jonathon be related to me and not want to go in the Daiso store? I guess he's more like his dad in that regard. Or, maybe I dragged him to too many stores when he was younger.
Post a Comment