Jon and I have had a pretty busy, but great weekend so far. Friday consisted of Jon studying and then us hanging out for a bit, so nothing too exciting. But Saturday and Sunday were loads of fun! Saturday night, we were went to a Bethel choir concert in Deerfield and also brought two of the students home to host for the night. But about an hour and a half before the concert, Jon decided he needed a haircut...by me. So, I cut his hair. Yes, mom, I cut his hair. While cutting his hair, I asked him if I had ever told him the story of "Crew Cut Barbie", if you want to hear about my Barbie, let me know, but I'm pretty sure you can guess what happened to her when I started to cut her 7 inch long hair. Anyways, although we have had a hair cutting kit from Jon's mom for awhile now, Jon never allowed me to cut his hair. But finally, rather than spending the money, he gave in and directed me on how to cut it. It never would have turned out well, if he were not so good at directing me. But, I think I did a pretty good job at trimming, blending, and buzzing the neck. So, we saved a little under $20 and Jon said he'd let me do it again! Yay for saving money and spending quality hair-cutting time together. When I was done, Jon said, "Okay, your turn now?" haha. no.

So after our hair cutting experience, we rushed off to the Bethel concert. Right away we saw one of my professors and head of the music department. Dr. Veenker. I had several classes with him including music theory and composition. It was nice to catch up with him and see him after we have been gone from Bethel. We also got to talk to Benji, the bus driver that drove us for two band tours. He also happened to be in the same bus lines as Jon's grandpa and they know each other, pretty small world. When I came up to him, he said, "Hey, you're the one we had to drive down to a lower altitude because of asthma?" I replied, "Yes, I was that asthmatic." Jon said that my situation was apparently memorable since that was in 2006. Benji said he was actually talking about it with Dr. Veenker because a girl in choir was sick that day as well, but obviously not from asthma and altitude sickness. After the concert, we waited to get our two students and one of the students spotted me and we gave each other a hug and started chatting. Korah was in my string pedagogy class senior year and a fellow music major. We were catching up while names were being called and during this time, we found out she and another girl were paired with Jon and I! What a surprise and blessing! So, we didn't have to cut our catch up time short at that moment, but was able to enjoy time together all night. Korah is from Minong Wisconsin, not too far from where I grew up. So when we got home we immediately had a mini smorgasbord of treats including cheese curds and cheese spread, we had to 'relish' in our shared love of cheese! Our other host student, Christa, also loved cheese and we ended up playing Mad Gab as teams which was so much fun. We ended up talking about funny things that have happened on our tours and it was fun to share similar experiences. In the morning, we brought them back to church for service and afterward, it was definitely sad to say goodbye and know that we were coming to an empty house. I do like hosting people and last night was something a little different than we have done before, but I will definitely be looking to host some band or orchestra people next year!
Now, onto tonight, Jon and I actually have to get going because we are going to meet my Uncle Paul and cousin Sandy at a restaurant while my uncle is in town. I haven't seen my cousin since we got married and my uncle not much more than that, so it'll be nice to see family in our area.
Thanks for checking in with the Engers!
3 comments:
Oh good! Jon finally got brave enough to let Anika try the haircut kit! I'm glad it worked out and what a compliment that Jon will let Anika do it again! I think he's given up on his mama after some haircuts got too short! See, if you hadn't practiced on the Barbie you wouldn't have had prior experience to go on.
the Minnesota Mama
Hooray! For you, Anika, doing such a FINE JOB! And for you, Mr Jon for being so brave! (and desperate!)
I am so proud of you both for finally giving this a try! And see? I know Diane has shown you, and since Jonathon obviously had been watching closely, you all were a great team! (even though Diane was in absentia!:-) Many thanks to you, too, Diane!
xoxo mummit/deb
I'm SORRY!
I got so excited about "The Haircut", I totally forgot to tell you how happy I was for the wonderful experiences of the weekend! Thank you so much for your hospitality, encouragement, and love shown to the Bethel students! I'm sure they felt MOST WELCOME!
Plus the fun reunion with the Helquist's!
again, with love...:-)
Post a Comment