Tuesday, March 15, 2011

NOT my Nona's Pizzelles!

This last week, I made a trip to Aldi's and I didn't walk 15 feet into the store and a type of cookie caught my eye.
Sorry for the poor quality picture, but I was trying to snap it with my phone before the manager came by and wondered what I was doing. Well, if anyone knows my family at all, you know that my Nona and us have always made Italian Pizzele, usually around Christmas but also around many family get-togethers. It really is quite natural for us to all end up in the kitchen. So for my whole life, I've grown up eating these tasty light treats that are usually flavored with almond. Well, I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when I see these in a plastic package, but they must be good, they have the Italian flag stamp of approval! HA! I just wonder what Nona would say when she would see these. For those of you who know her, feel free to take weigh in! Needless to say, I did not spend my money on these, I knew I'd be utterly disappointed. Why buy a cheap knock-off Italian treat when we could make them homemade with love at home?
Hmmm, now if only I had a pizelle press here!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Yes! Quite dreadful! And expensive, too! I've seen ones like these at other grocery stores, but they do look quite sad...I guess for people who crave pizzelles but don't access to the real things.

Good reminder: Let's always be generous with our pizzelles and such, so dear friends won't have to resort to such as these! Lol!

Thanks for the laugh, Love-Dove!

Joseph said...

I heart pizzelles. I have a mini pizzelle maker and attempted to use it last Christmas, but they were painfully hard to make. I need to get a full blown big pizzelle press. If you see a deal on one, pick it up for me. If I see a deal, I'll let you know! Deal? :)

Joseph said...

(Oh and that's Blythe posting from J's account accidentally)