You all must give Jonathon and I credit for updating our blog frequently up until this last week and a half or so. We both feel like our lives have slowed down a little bit and things maybe aren't quite as exciting as they were in the first month. But, this is only half of the reason we haven't written anything new; so I apologize to those who are rioting outside The Enger Cafe.
At the beginning of last week, Jonathon started having cold-like symptoms and by mid-week the cold had rapidly developed into what we think was strep throat. I tried to stuff him with vitamin-C, garlic, Airborne, and other cold drugs while not getting too close to the diseased boy. I was not sick and I wanted to keep it that way, but unfortunately, I think I became a little arrogant of this fact and therefore, soon became ill myself. This last week felt like torture and we thought it might not end. Jonathon finally went to the doctor with a Korean woman who works at the school. There, the doctor gave him some pouches of medicine and told him to take it three times a day (in Korean), but he never really said what he had. Jonathon also received this bottle of gargling solution that was as green as Kryptonite. So Jonathon was taking unknown drugs for an unknown illness for an unknown period of time. But the bright side of things was that the doctors visit cost 4,000 won and the medicine was 20,000 won (altogether about $15-wow!). Also, he was beginning to feel better. Me, on the other hand,
I thought my head would explode and even after getting 44 hours of sleep in four days, I was still exhausted. There were many times at work where I just did not want to be there but I seem to have this problem where when I'm in a bad mood, kids can easily make me feel better. Any teacher that is reading this probably knows what I'm talking about. For example, I am struggling to get through my lowest level class and the only boy (8 years old) in the class starts singing a Kunglish (Korean/English) love song to me and then sits there giggling. Or, one of my students plops a pug puppy on my desk, (my absolute favorite dog) specifically for me to see because he knows I like them. These types of things are what help me get through the rough days and help me laugh. With Sunday beginning, Jonathon and I are feeling much better and are thankful for all of your prayers!
We hope to have a fun game-like post coming soon, so please, keep visiting us!
Anika and Jonathon
5 comments:
thanks for the update! NOT expected, NOTHING expected when you've been so under the weather big time! so no need to apologize, dear heart! Just so happy that you're both doing a little better!
lots of love to you 2!
mummit xoxooxxo
Hey Anika & Jonathon,
Glad to hear you're better and made it through the big bug! You've learned all your mom's helpful aids, Anika! Way to go.
A pug would help!
Lots of love, Sas
I'm proud of you guys for sticking it out! You're so brave! Anika- you are very good at writing! You could be a journalist! You had me cracking up big time! Hope you guys are feeling better, now!
Glad you're better, Anika!
Yeah... I had something over the Thanksgiving weekend. SUPER runny nose. Must be that time of the year!
Hope you didn't try to cook a turkey on your range.
Love ya!
Hoodie,
thanks for your prayers; it was pretty rough, but hopefully we will stay healthier.
Sasta,
yes, I was trying to remember every herbal thing I could because it is often hard to find medicine I would be used to or even someone who will speak English to help. One man does speak all right English and was able to give us what we needed (hand sanitizer).
Kari, thanks for your encouragement! I have always struggled with writing and had many problems throughout school and with several teachers. But, it is fun.
Blythe, I am glad you are over your cold as well. I am sick with something else now, it seems. I got hit with just about everything in the book.
Post a Comment