Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Urban OR Rural?

During September, I have been teaching my 2nd graders about urban, suburban, and rural areas. After finding out what each area had to offer, most of the students said they would prefer to live in a suburban area because of the grass and a bigger house, while still being able to go into the city for fun. Personally, I love rural areas and last week while shopping I was reminded of the vast difference between rural and urban areas. Being in Seoul, I have seen how important fashion and looking absolutely wonderful is to people. But, being from the rural north, most of us just care if we're warm enough and if we'll have to carry a shovel into work just in case our car gets snowed in during the day....Okay, that's not all we care about, but that's what came to my head when I stepped inside one of my favorite stores in Korea, Uniqlo. (Mostly, the only reason I like Uniqlo is that they have sizes that fit Americans rather than just the little Koreans.) They have had this fashion displayed before, but never to this extent!

Anyways, enough with the suspense, this is what I saw....

Am I in Fleet Farm or....

....a Japanese fashion store?

Ahhhhh, home! Now, where are the rubber boots, bags of candy, and on-sale fishing gear? But, yes, plaid is actually a huge deal here and it is extremely fashionable now--and not just practical! So, if by chance, someone gives you a little glare for wearing your favorite coffee stained, plaid shirt, just say, "Hey, it's all the rage in Asia!"

5 comments:

Chipper's Papa said...

Hey Anika - I was wearing a plaid shirt when I sat down to read this. Could I sell it on eBay to someone in Korea?

Anika said...

haha. funny. It depends, is it authentic, it might be worth more!

Anonymous said...

such a stitch! and on plaid!

Cheryl said...

We love Uniqlo here in Japan too!! One Christmas Uniqlo bags were the most popular item under our tree.

Anika said...

Uniqlo is wonderful!