The days leading up to Good Friday and the actual day is so full of varied emotions. I dread going to the service, yet look forward to getting a better and refreshing understanding of Jesus' death and sacrifice. If it's such a difficult day (only emotionally), how hard was it for Jesus (emotionally, mentally, and physically)! Wow. We just really don't know. But, yesterday, Jon and I went to Harvest for their Good Friday service where we were able to get a better idea of what really happened. Harvest did a good job with the service and made it interactive. We first entered the church and almost all of the seats were out, so we were standing in a large group. Also, almost everyone was dressed in black and the lights were of course off except for some back lights. The projection screens had questions of why Jesus died for us and below was a verse answer in reply. We read these before the worship portion started. After worshiping, we were told that they had set up five centers for us to visit, worship, learn, and mourn before coming back again for communion and worship. The five areas that we could visit were: God's Word, Suffering of Christ, Roman Crucifixion A Medical Perspective, Art Gallery, and Jesus in ____'s Place. In "God's Word", we could sit and reflect on God's Word and spend time meditating on the account of Christ's death for us. At the Suffering of Christ center, we could look at and feel historically-accurate recreations of the components of a first century Roman scourging and crucifixion. Therefore, we could reflect on the suffering that Jesus experienced instead of us. Here, they had nails, hammers, a crown of thorns, and a cat of nine tails. While we were standing here, some of the workers at the service joined the crowd and they basically acted out the scene where Pilate asked who the people wanted. Since we were in a crowd, it felt like we were in that crowd as people shouted, "Crucify Him!" It was very disturbing and real to me that even though I wasn't shouting at that time, I really was one of them who crucified Him with my sin. In the Medical Perspective area, we learned about the physiological effects of a first century Roman crucifixion on a human body through five short videos. In the Art Gallery, we viewed art created by adults and children in the congregation. There was also a live artist painting a picture of Jesus on the cross from a side perspective looking at us. In the Jesus in ____'s Place, we walked into a separate place and received a stamp on our wrists that said "guilty" in red. Then, we came to a white cross where we could write our names in red on it to symbolize that it was "His blood instead of ours". After this, we returned to the center of the auditorium to worship and take communion. Although this service was very different than any other Good Friday service I have been to, but it was really nice and fresh. I realized even more that not only Jesus died for us to save us, but I was one who 'made' Him have to do that, by my sin. He is the spotless Lamb without blemish. But, the sin in my life required Christ to die in my place. I am so thankful for this and glad that Jon and I were able to attend such a nice Good Friday service. I am also thankful that we can look forward to Sunday, when we know that Jesus will be alive. I can't imagine the depression of the disciples as they saw their friend and Lord die, thinking that they would not see Him again (even after they were told that they would).I hope my friends, you were able to go to a Good Friday service or at least to an Easter Sunday service. Enjoy the rest of your Easter weekend, whether it is with friends or family!
2 comments:
I'm glad you and Jonathon attended such a meaningful service to learn more about Good Friday. Someone put a lot of thought into that. Happy Easter you two!!!
Oh, my goodness! From what you told me and what you wrote here, I could almost hear, see, feel what you experienced, Anika! Thanks so much for helping make my Good Friday----to the Resurrection even more relevant and real...And worshipful.
"oh how He loves you and me! Oh, how He loves you and me! He gave His life, what more could He give? Oh how He loves you! Oh how He loves me! Oh, how He loves you and me!"
I stand amazed and in awe...
Post a Comment