Happy 4th of July! I hope you all had a great day of celebrating, but hopefully you stayed cool enough. I know that it was hot all over the country; here it was 104. I don't think Chicago is supposed to get that hot at the beginning of July or really ever at all. I keep telling people that this is far enough south for me, but the high temps are really reinforcing my enjoyment up north. But, I hear that it is also in the upper 90's in Birchwood, so I guess it really isn't much better. Oh well.
Unfortunately, for this 4th of July, I was unable to be with Jonathon, but I had a good day anyways. I always love seeing fireworks with Jonathon, so being away from him and watching fireworks alone didn't seem like such a fun idea. I got invited to go to a few parties, but I declined and instead enjoyed my day off at home with the Pocket Baby. Today, I was so happy to sleep in and get some extra sleep and then enjoy slowly waking up. Pocket did not slowly wake up though, after taking her outside, I decided it would be best to give her a bath. She did not like this. But, she soon found comfort buried deep under the covers in order to go back to sleep. The rest of the day was really relaxing and I enjoyed working on one of my present's for our anniversary next week. I also did a quick bit of shopping for a surprise I have for Jon when he is done with his internship. When I told him I had a surprise for him, he was upset that I wouldn't tell him. Because of this, he countered by thinking of his own surprise so that I would have something to guess and be in suspense about as well. Sneaky. One of my shopping stops was to Seoul Market for some Bulgogi and Banchan (not too American for our Independence Day, is it?). I have discovered that cooking for one is really annoying and I get sick of the food quite quickly when I make enough for days. Jon is such a good leftover eater that I hardly get one serving of any leftovers we have, so I'm not used to eating the same thing for 4-5 days. Hmmm, maybe eating the same thing for 5 days is why I'm sick of it-what an idea! I just find it hard to shop for one person and not be wasting food. By the end of the summer, I'll have it down and then I'll have to readjust all over again.
Around 9:00, Pocket and I went outside to see if there were any fireworks. I didn't much feel like leaving the house and braving any traffic or crazy drivers, so we stayed in. But, the nice thing about living in the city is that you can be blessed with several different firework shows at the same time because of the other cities surrounding you. Last year I remember seeing 4 shows, this year I could see 2. Pocket had never seen fireworks with us before and I don't think she liked them very much. She kept hiding underneath my legs or trying to walk back towards the house in an effort to get away from the noise. Good thing we weren't closer to the fireworks, we were already a few miles away.
Now, we're winding down for the night before heading to bed and then off to work again tomorrow! Again, I hope your time with family and friends was relaxing! Let us know what you did!
1 comment:
Last year we were in Chicago with you at the fireworks, remember? This hot year we didn't go to any. But we saw the Macy's fireworks on TV from New York Harbor. We had company for supper and we grilled meat, had fruit, chips, pickles, baked beans and cake and pie for dessert. Stayed inside the air conditioning. Oh, we did see a few of the Rochester fireworks out our front window.
Post a Comment