Friday, August 28, 2009

This is just a little observation and nothing big, but I can't believe how quiet this city is sometimes. Seoul is the second biggest city in the world (and can you believe I'm living here), you'd think it'd be really loud. Although I do not live in the thick of Seoul, I still think it's amazing. There are definitely noisy areas, but ours is not one of them, thankfully. But, I was walking Molly in the park late last night, and I realized that it was about as quiet as it is when I sit on my parent's dock at night. I could hear the random car, some people talking in the distance, but that was about it. This was something that I remembering being grateful for when we first arrived in our apartment. It's definitely louder than what we are used to, but at all what I expected after being in some big US cities.
I am thankful that we live in a quieter area of Seoul compared to some of the other teachers or other busy areas we could be in. But, it will also be nice to spend some time in the country at my parents and sit by the lake as well as listen to the snowflakes fall softly to the ground. Ahhhhh. Anyways, a new look at Seoul, at least the lack of noise part....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how lovely! i got a sense of slowing down, quiet, and peace as i read this. and i agree, even though it is such a huge city, i noticed that it was much "quieter" than i expected. i think, Anika, it also has to do with what you tune into...

Diane said...

Store up some of these special thoughts and the pleasant times in your memory bank. It's good you'll have your blog to look back on. You'll be leaving before you know it.