Thursday, September 2, 2010

Nona's Zucchini Muffins

I saw my parents almost two weeks ago and they brought many things, some of which being two blocks of aged cheddar and two zucchinis from their garden. I grew up loving tasty food because my family are wonderful Italian cooks and bakers. One of my favorite things to eat are zucchini muffins, but not just any zucchini muffins, Nona's zucchini muffins. I even tried to look up decent muffin recipes online and I could tell that they were not close at all, I mean, who wants to put carrots, walnuts, or raisins in their zucchini muffins? Really.
So, I finally grated the zucchinis last night and prepped to bake the next day after work. I started baking and remembering when I would stand by Nona or my mother's side while we made muffins. I was the one always sneaking a finger in the bowl to "test" it. Nona would always reply in a loud, Italian way, "You'll get salmonellae!" (Well, with all the recent egg recalls, she could surely say that now and be sure of it!) But, I never did get salmonellae and didn't risk it this time either. I also remember my mom teaching what the right consistency should be and once you have it, don't stir it too much (but I had to stir it just right so a big plop would fall on my finger while my mom looked away). I am so glad I have my mom to learn things from, but greatly miss my Nona especially at these times when I'm baking or have something I'd like to tell her. I've been missing her a lot lately and I'm glad I can at least use her recipes, remember her, and feel close to her in that way.



Jon loved the muffins and after eating two, he said, "I could eat two dozen of those, I need to be stopped!" So, I guess they were a success!
p.s. Mom, thanks for the extra muffin tins, I was very happy to
find another container in the cupboard!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Anika, I still miss my grandma Vork (grandma Grankie I called her). She has been gone a long time. We were very close. From her I learned to love sewing, crafting, painting and cardinals. Grandma loved cardinals and to this day whenever I see one I think of her and wonder if she's checking on me!!! She loved painting winter scenes with them at the center. I have the last one she did. One day we'll all be united in heaven and these days of missing them will melt away.
Love MamaDi

Anonymous said...

My goodness! How could I not respond to this yet?! Gooney me! I've certainly looked at it (your darlink pictures!) enough times!

So happy they turned out and that mr jon liked them so much! Plus lots to share with others! Our Noni sure did have a lot of wonderful recipes and ways to do things..."AND DON'T EAT THAT RAW FLOUR OR YOU'LL GET WORMS!" (that was one she told me when I was little. LOL!)

Glad the extra tins came in handy! And don't forget your "Chicago/Texas" sized ones for another time!
LYTDA!!!! In the OOO!

blythe said...

Recipe, PLEASE???!! :)