Thursday, September 15, 2011

Newlyweds

Like I said in a previous post, Jon and I have a lot going on and have a list of things I still need to do as well as things I still want to blog about.  But, I just haven't gotten to it.  I did want to share just a little excitement about our new small group.  We had our first official group at our house this week and it was great!  We had 5 couples (with possibly one more couple), including us, so it was a full house!  I know how it is to run from work to something else without dinner, so I really wanted to help by feeding everyone and therefore be more comfortable and able to gather around food more like a family would do.  Jon and I really want to create a safe and loving community with our couples and we feel this is one great way to do it.  We meet at our house 2-3 times a month and then we also have a large group at the church.  During the large group, one of the pastors speaks on a topic such as oneness, financial matters, parenting, intimacy, and a number of other great topics.  Then, the couples do "homework" based on the topic and discussion while diving into Scripture to see what God says.  Jon and I are really thankful that we get to be blessed by this ministry and hope we can bless others as well.  It was great seeing Jon lead a discussion and give good insight to the couples.  I was almost shocked when one of the wives asked for our advice on being transparent and how we keep on top of that.  I feel like I'm used to asking questions and them not always being asked of me, so I had to take a second to realize she was talking to us.  We do have a lot of experience with learning how to be transparent with one another and not slip into bad habits and disconnecting, so it was enjoyable listening and watching Jon reply to their question.  I also feel like Jon and I had a good give and take in conversation while also letting the group share their thoughts and experiences.  Jon also had a strong sense that God really placed these couples in our group, so we are looking forward to getting to know them!  They are all only recently married, anywhere from 4 days (wow) to 3 months, so it's going to be fun to see how they grow! 

3 comments:

Deb said...

Like you said, "WOW!" What an absolutely FANTASTIC opp for all the couples, including you and Mr Jon, to deepen and learn of the Lord and from each other as a couple and also in and from the individuals and couples present! yeah, "WOW!" You do not know how very BLESSED you are to learn so much at young ages...it can save you many griefs, dear ones! Keep teachable and humble hearts! And yes, transparent. I am SO very happy for you!

Diane said...

These opportunities will help build confidence for you and Jon as you find where God places you in His service as a pastor and spouse. One experience often leads to another and builds upon another. I will keep praying for you both as you learn and grow and get closer to graduation. We love, love, love you!!

Emily said...

that's awesome