You might remember a little incident with Molly called, Christmas Caramels. During this incident, she carefully unwrapped some homemade caramels that were in a dish on our coffee table. She did this all in under a half hour. Well, she renewed our suspicions of her being a quick, neat, and scrounging Schnauzer (or at least part of a Schnauzer). Tonight, I got home and after taking Molly out, I went for a run. I did a quick run around the neighborhood and was back in about a half hour. I figured since Molly had been free to roam our home all day, leaving her during my run would be no problem. I was wrong. I come down the stairs to an excited little Pocket Baby, missing me so much even during the brief time I was gone. I come down the stairs and wonder why my purse is spilled over, my gift cards are scattered and my new pack of gum is torn and half missing. I take one look at Molly and she's laying on the ottoman looking guilty but still wagging her tail. She knew she was bad but still could not contain her love for me, I guess. I start cleaning up her mess and wonder, "Where's all my gum? It has to be hiding somewhere."
Well, if you notice, there is the bottom half of the gum package and above it a stranded half eaten piece of gum and above that is the top cover of the package. Around it is surrounded with other wrappers sans gum. Let me tell you, I had just gotten this pack yesterday and had only eaten one piece, after this, I only found 5...wow Molly. Apparently, she loves Strawberries...and gum. I'm not sure what this will do to her tummy box, but I know that I will no longer leave my purse out for her to get. I told Jon last night to throw some Kleenex's that were on the floor so she didn't eat them, I don't think he believed me just what she can get herself into!
Update:
I later found out through Jon that Xylitol in gum is actually very toxic to dogs and can kill little dogs quite quickly. He wasn't home until four hours after this happened and Molly appeared fine. But at 12:30 am, we called the vet and they directed us to the Animal Poison Control line. There, we gave her information on exactly what kind of gum and maximum of how many pieces she ingested (8). She called another vet and they said that thankfully, Orbit gum has Xylitol as the 14th ingredient and it was not enough to be toxic and damage her liver. Instead, we only had to look for signs of blockages and feed her pumpkin. Molly says, "I love my orange, squishy pumpkin treat, but I'm not sure why mama and papa spend so much time analyzing my 'business'. I must be pretty special." Yes, Molly, especially bad! No blockage as of yet, just waiting to see if she keeps regular. Why do I feel like I've written so many posts recently about Molly and her "business"? Anyways, moral of the story, don't leave your purse on the floor and don't let your dogs get into gum!
2 comments:
Oh dear! I am extremely happy that this had a happy ending! And...I need to add, "No more avocado for Chippie!" i guess...
Glad that Pocket is okay!
Post a Comment