I really try to look at my job as fun, even on the more difficult days. But when you have little kids saying out loud whatever comes into their little head, how can it not be fun! I've tried to remember some good quotes lately, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few.
- As I was wearing my hair half up and half down one day, a girl came and started touching it and said, "Ms. Anika, you look like the Disney Princess Belle when you wear your hair like that."
- I said to one of my youngest kids, "Hey, look at all these cool, new balls that they put in our playground bin!" The boy replied, "Oh wow, look at those cool, new balls! They're so cool, I don't even know how cool they are!" I chuckled so hard to his comment and observation! Another day, this boy said something else to me right after waking up. He was waiting to use the bathroom and he said, "Ms. Anika, I'm going to be very good today and then I'm going to be very good tomorrow and then I'm going to bring you raisins tomorrow. I love raisins!" How random, but I love it.
- I taught a farm/dairy week a few weeks ago and it was so much fun! Even now, the kids are still playing Farm or Milker or whatever they call it. But one day, there were a few kids at the sensory table outside where there was water, tubes, and various cups/sand molds. One boy says, "Here's my bucket, I'm gonna milk a cow! See, I'm pulling on its pullers and here's the milk!" I corrected him in saying that they were udders, but he kept calling them pullers, makes sense though, right? It's a lot of fun to teach a topic you enjoy and then to see the kids enjoy it and put it into their lives. They were also so full of questions wondering about cows and how we get milk from them. One boy said, "Ms. Anika, where do cows pee out the milk?" Oh kids.
- Beware: vomit talk ahead. This is not a funny quote from a kid, but just an observation of how things don't phase kids. The other day, I had a boy with projectile vomit. If anyone knows me, they know I have had a pretty good vomit phobia and gag reflex at the thought, talk, or seeing it. When the boy got sick the other day, I have to be honest, my first instinct was to run. But, I contained myself and took immediate action. I know Jon was proud of me for cleaning it up and helping him; I've grown a lot! I feel bad for kids because I know how bad getting sick is. Jon says that I'm "the most intense vomiter" he's ever seen. It's true, if vomiting were an Olympic sport, I'd be a gold medalist. Anyways, this all happened in front of the snack table where two girls were eating snack. If it were me as a kid, I think I would've flipped out and ran away. But no, these two girls just kept on eating. While I was cleaning it up, one girl even said, "Ms. Anika, can I have seconds on chips, please?" Really? really? Just get it yourself, I am a little occupied. The two girls continued to eat watching us clean like it was a movie and then left the table when they were done. How do they do that? If it were us adults, that would never have happened.
- And last but not least, the boy who keeps asking, "Ms. Anika, how do babies get made?" This kid has woken up in the middle of nap, in a daze, walked to me and asked, he's asked me during lunch, he's left his favorite activity to come ask me. I keep giving him simple and similar answers but it doesn't appease him as he stares, eyebrows furrowed and walks away. So, I simply say, "Go ask your mom." One child during group time had replied by saying that it came out of a mommy's tummy and the doctor has to cut her tummy open so it can get out. Another child responded that the mommy just has to poop it out.
When you are someone who is with kids an awful lot, you hear a lot of interesting things, I wish I was able to write them all down!
3 comments:
I love it when you share these oh so humorous quips! It IS a real perk when you work with kids, isn't it? Like the "Gweeom dongi one" (sorry, no can spell in the Koree!)
So very cute, Anika. Thanks for sharing the ones you remember. Little kids are brutally honest. I've had lots of funny comments from the K's and 1st graders, too. My most frequent one I get is, "You're my favorite music teacher." Or, "You're the best music teacher." And of course, I'm the only one they know!!!
When I was a kid, I would literally run out of the room if someone threw up. I still want to, but I try to be an adult about it these days...
Post a Comment