Since moving to the Chicago area, I've realized a change that I miss when compared to the Upper Midwest: Niceness and Friendliness. Jon explained "Minnesota Nice" to me, and I didn't really realize it until living outside of Wisconsin/Minnesota. Without thinking about it, I guess I do things that are considered "nice" such as saying hello and smiling at people I'm walking by or opening doors and so on. When doing these things, I've realized people tend to look at me very oddly, like, "Who is that weird girl and why is she talking to me? Do I know her?" Then, I walk away feeling very odd. Or even the waitress' we've had, don't seem to be quite as well, nice. Jon reminded me, "You know honey, we're not in Minnesota anymore." I was glad that that night, we were able to show love towards that waitress. Well, Jon and I will just keep spreading the "Minnesota Nice" and God's love to others.
3 comments:
We noticed that too upon moving to Madison. SW Wisconsin is culturally IL and it is really sad. We are hoping to move back to the great white north as soon as possible. it's just for a season.
yes, MN nice, WI nice, but most of all, as you said, "CHRIST'S LOVE"! Infinitely more real and life-giving than any "nice"!
Remember,when i told you that's how i felt in Korea? it can get discouraging if you look for a good response in return; people don't always know what to do with a kind word, smile, gesture. just keep spreading Jesus' lovingkindness even to the most growly-bear looking people, AS you're led. The Holy Spirit in you is interceding for them--see Oswald Chambers My Utmost, 11/07-very exciting!
May you be FILLED to OVERFLOWING!
you go, you two!
Post a Comment