Thursday, June 30, 2011

Picnic Treats

On Tuesday, I made some treats for a picnic get together we were going to have for our small group.  Well, Wednesday came and it ended up being canceled, which was too bad.  But, since I couldn't bring the treats to group, I brought them to school instead.  When working with so many women, it's pretty easy to get rid of any sweets I have around the house.  I tried out two new recipes from my Food Network magazine and they were pretty unique: Root Beer Bundt Cake and Faux Fruit Slices. But, I must say, they lie when they say it only takes ten minutes for the fruit slices; scooping them each out plus cooking the JELL-O takes much longer.  

 It does not look so pretty, but I think it turned out okay, for it being an oddly flavored cake to begin with.  I put a root beer sugar glaze on the outside, but I was definitely hoping for a stronger root beer flavor in the end product.  I can now say that I have baked with root beer!


 The orange rind was more porous and turned out not working as well as the lemons.  They were both very tasty, but the JELL-O came out better from the lemons. 

 All nice and cut up, how pretty, right?  Although time consuming, it was a very cute "project" and my coworkers loved them! 

1 comment:

Deb said...

Yes! Those faux fruit slices sure were cute! Oh so pretty! Kids would probably think they were so cool, too! Jiggly wiggly fruit! lol.
So...the root beer cake, i can't quite tell if it was yummy or not!?
Good job, gril!
love ya, adventuresome one!